Hi outdoor researchers,

Ming Wai - your 'listening in' rings true suggesting that curiosity and opportunity are part of the larger (OAE) system. I am sure that we can learn a whole lot more about it by listening to learners speaking to each other - it will be interesting, Sue, to see the ESRC report when it comes out. I am still wondering whether 'adventure' is mostly just the gateway/catalyst for a whole range of interconnected learning processes and that if the adventure message is shouted too loud, these other processes might suffer.

Patrick, I think you are emphasising the value of effort in adventure and life. How could I disagree with this? The rewards of effort in much school work are long term, whereas in much adventure activity the rewards for effort are more immediate - partly because they are often new activities in which the learning curve is steep and early success is visible, physical and multi-sensory.

Maybe a strong focus on adventure (which is typically presented in terms of individual development) takes attention away from the group experience? At some stages of development working together in a group and developing social skills can be of greater significance for some or all participants. In the design of OAE courses perhaps we hedge our bets and put in a bit of everything, generating a whole world of experiences - some more individual, some more group-based and some more adventurous than others.

Or perhaps adventure is so important and of such intrinsic value for everyone that we infuse everything with as much adventure as possible?

Roger
Roger Greenaway, Reviewing Skills Training <[log in to unmask]>
9 Drummond Place Lane, Stirling, Scotland FK8 2JF
Active Revewing Guide: http://reviewing.co.uk