Why not just say "pressure".  Much more straight forward, less jargon and economic.

Grenville Draper
Department of Earth and Environment
Florida International University
SW 8th Street and 107 Avenue
Miami, FL 33199
305-348-3087

Professor of Geology
Associate Director of Liberal Studies
Geosciences Undergraduate Advisor
Fellow of the Geological Society
Fellow of FIU Honors College

On Feb 21, 2012, at 1:33 PM, Robert J. Twiss wrote:

How about "isotropic stress"; stress that is the same in all directions?