I'd like to add a very different perspective, hoping to be helpful.

My work has had me far too often trying to help people who have come
from the relational database world (I think) understand first what
linked data is, and then how they might start to use it. A good
example is the huge European project in which we are 'growing' the
accessibility (for people with disabilities) work into the UN
Convention Inclusion program. Many people do not understand metadata,
do not 'get' the linking and the way to make things interoperate. In
the end, the best way forward seems to be to help them understand that
the DCMI community has an enormous amount of experience and that the
DCMI experience and wisdom is sort of crystallised in the DCAM
constraints.

So, I think that the role of the DCAM etc can be seen as the
conceptual step that lies between the old way and what will probably
be, in time, the way we work in a linked world.

This means being very practical in the description of the value to
users of the DCAM etc.

Liddy