On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 02:31:45PM +0000, Gordon Dunsire wrote:
> I think these patterns are a good starter set, and suggest we add the more
> complex patterns I suggested earlier [1].

I have consolidated the examples provided by the DC-RDF spec and by Gordon,
Karen, and Alistair into a new wiki page [2].

> These range from overlaps with Karen's set through tests of additional
> specifics in SoDC-CL such as cardinality, to the mega-patterns of concrete
> schema interoperability.
>
> I'm happy to try and translate these into the formats used in Karen's
> patterns (including examples).

Karen's examples in [3] used an XML expression of the "template-and-constraint"
idiom of Mikael's Description Set Profile constraint language [4].  The examples
in DC-RDF [5] are expressed using RDF/XML and DC-TEXT [6].

In the spirit of re-constructing DCAM "from the bottom up", starting with
concrete examples, it would indeed be great if we could work with a notation
that is easy to read.  The DC-DSP notation uses angle brackets; DC-TEXT uses
parentheses; and Karen improvised a "Pythonesque" notation for two examples in
in [7] -- "Pythonesque" because Python uses indentation to define sections
without the added clutter of brackets.

Beyond agreeing on a graphic style, however, we would need to sort out what it
means to "use" DCAM constructs in an example.  Mikael's style, with DC-DSP [4],
was to say that an instance of a Description, for example, is a Description
Template which becomes constrained in a specific way.  Alistair, in his
strawman draft, saw sets of constraints bundled into something he called
Resource Profiles.

What examples do we want to express?  Can we find a simple way to express them?

Tom

[1] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1202&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&P=6405
[2] http://wiki.dublincore.org/index.php/DCAM_Revision_Design_Patterns
[3] http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/apDesigns