Come on Nicholas, do you really believe that the active participants among the 10,000 plus member of the London Cycling Campaign join, pay their £30 plus fee and spend weekends running stalls at civic events, volunteering at repair workshops and leading recreational easy rides NOT to increase the numbers cycling?
In all my time living in and cycling around London I never encountered the type you describe above. I did not hang about with couriers I admit, but my fellow cyclists were really in for the transport, not a lifestyle or sport, simply a way to get about.
Gary Cummins

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:58:24 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A request for help[Scanned-Clean]
To: [log in to unmask]

What you have is the same problem that beset the high bicycle,
fine when you are on it, but it looks very dangerous…a long way to fall.
There was no solution, but the riders who were attracted to the machine did not
really want one. I’d suggest that many confident urban and A-road cyclists
rather enjoy their elite do-or-die status and are not that worried about
increasing the numbers.

Nicholas Oddy