This is a call for expressions of interest in an academic day of action to support the Faslane Peace Camp in Scotland (see Faslane30 call below). The Peace Camp has survived for 30 years, opposing Trident missile-bearing submarines harboured at the Faslane naval base. Following in the ‘tradition’ of theory as practice established in academic conference blockades during Faslane 365  (a year long blockade of the base) and at the COP15 climate change summit in Copenhagen (Vinthagen et al., 2009, Mason, forthcoming) we anticipate academic action this time around will involve creative public and participatory scholarship both in place at Faslane and in a space of international support, utilizing a variety of media.

Proposed date: On and around Friday 6th July 2012 (The date has been proposed specifically to facilitate geographers attending the RGS/IBG International Conference to participate in this additional event)

Proposed themes: Scotland, independence, democracy, nuclear weapons, the academy…

Preliminary Conveners: Kelvin Mason [log in to unmask] Kye Askins [log in to unmask]  Justin Kenrick [log in to unmask]

Please register your interest and creative suggestions for action via an email to Kelvin Mason in the first instance.

And please circulate this call to your networks as appropriate.

Mason, K. (forthcoming) 'Academics and Social Movements: Knowing our place, making our space'. ACME Special Issue, pp.

Vinthagen, S., Kenrick, J. & Mason, K. (Eds.) (2012) Academic Conference Blockades: Resisting nuclear weapons through theory and practice. Sweden: Irene.

From: [log in to unmask]
Date: 13 February 2012 16:20:22 GMT

30 DAYS OF ACTION AT FASLANE PEACE CAMP, SCOTLAND
Faslane Peace Camp are announcing 30 days of non-violent direct action
against nuclear weapons at the Faslane Naval Base to mark the 30th
birthday of the Peace Camp and the ongoing travesty of nuclear weapons.
The actions will commence on Saturday 9th of June 2012 and continue until
the 9th of July.

Over the last year, a small group of us have been endeavouring to make
Peace Camp a healthy and happy place to facilitate direct action against
Trident. We are ready for action! We are inviting local, national and
international groups to take responsibility for a day of anti-nuclear
activities. Protests, musical demonstrations, trespasses, blockades,
die-ins and general mischievous behaviour are welcome.

With Scotland's potential independence could come an end to nuclear
weapons in Scotland. This will mean their relocation elsewhere at
unprecedented cost in a time of "austerity". Now is the time to be
delivering a renewed and reinvirgorated anti-nuclear message to the U.K
government. Not only do we want them out of Scotland but we want an end to
the U.K nuclear weapons system per se.

We would like to invite any helpers throughout the month and before as
there will be lots to be done during the 30 Days Campaign and the time
leading up to it. Enthusiastic helpers and donations will be welcomed with
open arms, no activist experience necessary! All communal (vegan) meals
will be provided during the 30day action period and there will be plenty
of sleeping and camping spaces.

Facilities: We have running water, the internet, solar panels and a
bicycle generator. People living at the camp contribute £5 per week for
vegan food for all meals so those wishing to come for a longer period than
the 30days campaign will be included in this. People who wish to be an
active part of the community but really cannot afford this £5 are also
welcome!

For more information, legal stuff, to request fliers and posters and for
details of the camp's safer spaces, residency and alcohol policies please
contact the site phone on 07511793227 or email us at [log in to unmask].
Alternatively you can write to the camp at: 30Days, Faslane Peace Camp,
Shandon, Helensburgh, G84 8NN.