From: Discussion list for those practising BNIM [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of tom wengraf [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 February 2012 13:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Biographic case studies - minimum number of cases ?

Dear all.

A trainee in biographic-narrative interviewing has just completed her training and intended to do seven/eight cases in depth for her PhD thesis in a geography department of a particular university.

She’s written to me saying that her supervisors say/imply she cannot use the method because “geography” will not accept any PhD based on such a small number of cases, however deeply researched and contexted.

Very discouraging.

Does anybody have any ideas on this, particularly any examples of  geography PhDs or doctoral research which she can use to justify a claim that at least some geography departments do accept PhD proposals with such a low-N base?

Many thanks for any help in supporting this student in coping with such an initially-discouraging response. Or should she shift university? Or give up?

Best wishes

Tom

P.S. For news about hats, click on http://www.katiawengraf.com/

P.S. For news, photos and stuff about our women’s micro-credit and other projects in South-West Uganda, look at our <www.kiafrica.org>.

P.P. S. To those interested in social research using biographic narrative interviews: For a free electronic copy of the current version of the BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual, just  write to <[log in to unmask]> . Please indicate your institutional affiliation and the purpose for which you might envisage using BNIM’s open-narrative interviews, and I'll send it straight away. ('BNIM' stands for Biographic Narrative Interpretive Method').