Announcing the Call for Papers for the forthcoming 'First International Symposium for Creative Pattern Cutting'
Location: University of Huddersfield, UK
Date: 6th – 7th February 2013
Deadline for all submitted abstracts is Sunday 1st April 2012.
This symposium will examine creative pattern cutting within contemporary fashion and it aims to provide a platform for pattern cutters, fashion designers, students, and educators to explore the impact and direction
for creative pattern cutting.
• What are the cost implications of creative pattern cutting?
• Is the craft of creative pattern cutting ever mastered? Does the pattern cutter ever stop learning?
• Is the knowledge and practical experience of traditional processes and hand skills in creative pattern cutting still relevant in fashion in the context of technological and digital
• How are inconsistency, mistake and spontaneity emphasized in the development of creative patterns?
• Is creative pattern cutting a luxury only practiced in designer led fashion, what place does it have within the high street?
• How can the fashion industry generate ingenious and imaginative pattern cutting at mass market prices?
• What is the role of creative pattern cutting in higher education fashion courses?
• How can the fashion industry promote pattern cutting as a career and give it creative integrity and allure?
• How can practical experiences of traditional and emerging processes in creative pattern cutting be successfully documented and promoted?
• How can the fashion industry and fashion education promote pattern cutting as a career that has real creative integrity and allure?
• In what ways does the creative pattern cutter break rules?
Selected papers will be published in a special edition in The International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, Volume 6, Issue 2, published in July 2013, guest edited by Kevin Almond.
• Abstract (150 words) and authors’ bio (100 words): 1 April 2012 (Abstract and bio should be submitted to [log in to unmask])
• Notification for acceptance: 1 June 2012
• Full paper (4 - 5000 words) submission: 1 Sept 2012
• Reviewer’s feedback for symposium: 1 Jan 2013
• Early bird registration: 1 June – 1 October 2012
• Registration closes: 18 Jan 2013
• Symposium: 6 and 7 Feb 2013
Hosting University: University of Huddersfield, UK
CALL FOR PAPERS
The First International Symposium
for Creative Pattern Cutting
Organisers: Kevin Almond and Kathryn Brennand
Please do forward this information to anyone else in your network who may be interested to send an abstract, attend or participate.
This transmission is confidential and may be legally privileged. If you receive it in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and remove it from your system. If the content of this e-mail does not relate
to the business of the University of Huddersfield, then we do not endorse it and will accept no liability.