Ideally, these kinds of remains should be identified by the epidermal cells, including stomata, guard cells and possible silica cells (that provide the phytoliths), not only these phytoliths. I had some good experiences with SEM photography (in low vacuum, without coating) of vegetative plant material from different origins, although it often remains problematic to reach more than cf identifications.

oTTo

Van: The archaeobotany mailing list [[log in to unmask]] namens Linda Scott Cummings [[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: zaterdag 11 februari 2012 21:52
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: Help with ID: "leaves" from a Greek vessel

It is probably not possible to identify the botanic remains from a photo.  There might be phytoliths (or calcium oxalate crystals) that could be retrieved that would identify this.  Starches don't look as likely because this looks like stems in the photo.

Linda
Linda Scott Cummings, Ph.D.
PaleoResearch Institute, Inc.
2675 Youngfield St.