From: Elisabeth-Jane Milne <[log in to unmask]>
To: VISUALSOCIOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am
Subject: Invitation to submit entry on 'Visual Sociology' (Sociopedia.isa)

The Committee of TG05 have just received this invitation for members to contribute to Sociopedia, an initiative between Sage Publications and The ISA.
If you are interested in contributing or have any further questions, please follow the link below,
best wishes
ej

I am writing you as the Editor of sociopedia.isa. Sociopedia.isa is a new online publication of the International Sociological Association with review articles on subjects in the social sciences. It is a new concept in the production and dissemination of knowledge as it combines the best of two worlds: i) the opportunities the Internet offers for rapid publication and dissemination ii) the quality guaranteed by thorough and imaginative editing and peer review. All the articles in sociopedia.isa are up-to-date, ‘state-of-the-art’ reviews and will be revised on a regular basis. Each entry will have a discussion section to supplement it. Once a paper is accepted and finalized it will only take a few days before it is published online.

Sociopedia.isa is a joint venture of the International Sociological Association (ISA) and SAGE Publications. The editorial office of sociopedia.isa is located at the VU University in Amsterdam. Sociopedia.isa was launched during the ISA World Congress of Sociology in Gothenburg on July 13th, 2010. At the moment, it includes over 40 peer reviewed articles, some of which are also published in French and/or Spanish. Various articles are supplemented by commentaries and/or replies.

I am approaching you to invite you and the members of your Thematic Group to submit a paper for sociopedia.isa on one of the topics covered by your TG. As you can see in the overview of publications (attachment 1), sociopedia.isa has no entries related to 'Visual Sociology'. We would like to include entries on the topic. I am pleased to inform you that SAGE has agreed to pay authors of accepted entries $250 upon completion of the manuscript.

I have attached an example of a sociopedia.isa article (attachment 2) and the guidelines for sociopedia.isa (attachment 3). The latter document indicates in more detail what the aims and scope of sociopedia.isaare, what structure the entries should have and what the submission procedure looks like. For more information, please visit our website:

I hope that you and/or a member of your TG is willing to write an article for sociopedia.isa. Perhaps you could publish this letter in the newsletter of your TG and/or post it on your website? If you or a colleague is interested, could you/he/she please let me know when you/he/she would be able to submit a draft.

Kind regards,

Bert Klandermans
Editor Sociopedia.isa

SOCIOPEDIA.ISA

Editorial address:
Sociopedia.isa, Faculty of Social Sciences, VU University Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1081, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Phone: +31-20-5986845

The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.