Thanks Sean and Simon too...

I always love how when you ask a curator a question they respond first with a list, second with a personal experience, and sometimes third with a theory. :-)

I should clarify that I'm not researching artists' tv experiments at the moment (we did that when we did the show Broadcast Yourself in 2008) and that it is the job of the editor of this forthcoming publication from the Finnish Institute (the formidable and fantastic Hanna Harris) to communicate bits of that history in her book... I'm merely the inbetween person trying to help two of the artists (Nina Pope and Karen Guthrie) get some distance on their own work (TV Swansong) in particular - allowing us to think about how that project - or a project like that - sits today (perhaps in relation to these other works from art history).

So yes, Simon, it is a huge topic, but I'm really thinking aloud mostly about one part of it...

Is there currently a lack of the equivalent of "broadcasts which anthologised video art" - i.e. curated collections of work? Is this another strength of TV Swansong, that it was also somewhat curated? By artists? Does this make it an interesting parallel to something like Van Gogh TV - with layers of audience, some at live events, some at the broadcast of them?

Simon writes: "we thought we were doing one thing perhaps we were doing another - and it was the artists who were working in blissful ignorance of reality. Whatever, it didn't last. The medial substrate the artists had in common is long gone, conceptually and materially..."

so is the medial substrate - the web today - forcing a similar constriction on projects, where again artists might think they are doing one thing (broadcasting internationally irrespective of time zones; file sharing) but perhaps are actually doing another (creating models of distribution that commercial entities might later adopt)?

thanks for indulging the thinking aloud
sarah

--
University of Sunderland - life-changing: see our new TV advert at
http://www.lifechangingsunderland.com or http://www.sunderland.ac.uk