In direct response to the question: What artists' projects have (re)defined the idea of webcasting?

I'd recommend you have a look at my book about Franklin Furnace, published last year by Intellect. Large chunks of the book focus on the organziation's pioneering work in webcasting. Their collaboration with (the original) Pseudo.com should not be overlooked, especially because it predates domestic broadband, for the most part. Pseudo was as self-billed as Internet Television.

Martha Wilson's "What Franklin Furnace Learned from Presenting and Producing Live Art on the Internet, from 1996 to Now" is also a very significant first person narrative from the trenches. Her article appeared in Leonardo in 2005.

Another important artists' project which defined early concepts of webcasting is Robert Galinsky, who now runs the New York Reality School.  My 2001 interview with him appeared in TDR in 2005.

TV Swansong was certainly a pioneering project, but it was far from the first.

Best wishes...

             ...t.s.

 Dr. Toni Sant
 Director of Research

 School of Arts and New Media
 The University of Hull - Scarborough Campus
 Filey Road, Scarborough - YO11 3AZ

 email: [log in to unmask]