-----Original Message-----
From: Narrative Inquiry where social science meets art
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jess Moriarty
Sent: 11 January 2012 13:39
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Gender compensation

I reflect on the 'challenge' of being a mother and an academic in the
methodology section of my thesis to offer an insight into what I was
experiencing as I wrote the chapter. The idea was to provide a social and
cultural critique of the community I was/am working in whilst discussing
autoethnography as a rigorous methodology. Your piece rang so true Suzanne!
Thank you! Here is an excerpt from mine:

A colleague at works asks me how my children are. She tells me that she has
moved opposite a nursery and that she is woken every morning by the sound of
the children crying and begging not to be left. When I say I think that is
probably unusual she comments that it might be the early eight thirty start
that is having such an effect on the little ones. I am a little incredulous.
My daughter woke up at five this morning. Eight thirty is for narcoleptics
and the weak. She asks me how the thesis is going and offers to read it for
me. I tell her it is nearly there and that there really is no need.