Hi Melinda,

Not providing a service for bme/migrant workers is not only neglectfuful but illegal under qualities legislation. i am also confused as to why you feel that providing a fully accessible service  like public libraries is not relevant  to your sector. nhs and public libraries are covered by the same public sector equality duties.
you need to talk to your qualities lead and then do some research and a proper service plan that involves the marginalized groups. This would include equality impact assessments.
your trust should also have a communications strategy and an equality scheme. your service should appear here.

i think you have been looking in the wrong place. ask some of your nhs colleagues what they have done and whether there is guidance from DOH.
i  am from Scotland and i would expect nhs Health Scotland to have taken a lead on this.

Good luck - if you can't find evidence you may well have identified a gap where health services are failing their duties.

cheers

Liz
sung Mobile

melinda davies <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Hello,

Does any one know of any research or reviews or reports on providing a library service for migrant/ethnic minority health care professionals.
I’m interested in knowing what NHS libraries (or non-NHS health related libraries) do or have done 1) to become aware of any potential barriers 2) to overcome those barriers – small scale, large scale, I’m interested in anything.
In public libraries you get foreign language collections, pictorial or ‘plain english’ signage or diversity officers (though diversity will cover more than just ethnic diversity (gender, disability etc.).  Whilst these things may not be suitable for our sector I wonder if it is suitable for us to do nothing (or is it neglectful, are we losing users this way?).
With stories popping up in the media about the ‘danger’ of foreign doctors and nurses and with the evidence I have about the ethnic breakdown of our acute trust I believe there are some issues that a library service may be able to help address.
I’ve had a whiz through HDAS and Emerald (and Google) and I’ve come across one citation:
The Foreign Physician or Nurse and the Medical Librarian
Sally G Wayman Med Ref Serv Q 2(3):37 - 47 (1983)
http://pubget.com/paper/pgtmp_bf61a1ff494f4fb78128d7837b282ed7

This is a pet interest but it is also part of my chartership PPDP.  Any further information would be much appreciated (and I’m happy to feedback to the list if I get any responses).

Best wishes,
Melinda Davies
Clinical Librarian
The Library, Audrey Emerton Building, Royal Sussex County Hospital
(01273) 523303 / RSCH x3303