We had lively and helpful debate at the Mining Archaeology Framework
Seminar at Caphouse on Saturday. One theme which has been raised at the
seminar and elsewhere, is the policy of individual HERs towards receiving
data from the independent/non-professional/amateur/enthusiast sector.
Mining/ quarrying archaeology and industrial archaeology generally are well
served by such people, many of whom are extremely knowledgeable and are
capable of carrying out historical research and fieldwork to a good
standard. Many are keen that their knowledge and accumulated data could be
put to good use in HERs and we would like to encourage others to contribute.

So to my question: do HERs welcome such input and what are the mechanisms
required for such material to be usefully integrated into your systems? The
types of material we are talking about would be typescript field reports,
surveyed and annotated maps and plans including subterranean,  selected
record photographs. What concerns would you have over quality control and
verification?  I assume, given the current death grip on resources, that
any material input would need to be in a required format so as not to
greatly increase your workload.  For those of you who can remember the IRIS
project run by AIA, did that work for you?

If you could spare a little of you time to contact me on this topic, off
list if you prefer, I’d be very grateful for your views and information on
procedures from individual HERs.

Thanks and best wishes

Phil Newman(NAMHO Project Officer)