  From: Mark Weiss
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 10:07 PM
  Subject: Re: Chris Hamilton Emery on the elusive nature of a "poetry establishment"

  Wow. I'd love to see your versions of David. He's a real sweetheart, and his best work is great.

  The neobarroco, with which David's affiliated, has been in the forefront in Latin America since the late 70s, and in Cuba since 1939ish. But there's a lot of work that doesn't easily fit into it that's still pretty surprising. I've translated several of the neobarroco, Lezama, Kozer, Espina among them.  It's worth looking at Jaime Saenz (off the top of my head), Zurita, Pizarnik, Viel Temperlay, I could go on. A good place to get a quick overview of the neobarroco is the now a generation-old anthology Medusario, if you can find a reasonably-priced copy.