I am a Building Control Surveyor working in local authority. I have just reached the final part(dissertation) of my studies for an MSc in 'Access and Inclusive Design' (distance learning). Because of my background and the widely acknowledged changing demographic in terms of the ageing profile (and associated mobility issues), together with the resulting thrust via the Code for Sustainable Homes (specifically Wheelchair Accesible Housing (WAH) and Lifetime Homes (LTH's)as 'encouragement'towards independent living I felt that a working title questioning the safety of the occupants (in the circumstaces as identified in the topic) merited research. Clearly albeit WAH and LTH's are completely different animals at the outset (LTH's being new homes which are adaptable to suit the changing needs of the occupant while WAH being designed for a specific end user)at a point in time both may have the same interent problem (i.e. having accessed the first floor (via a through floor lift), how do the occupants escape/survive in a fire situation? The objectives of the research proposal are as follows;
i)Initially through a holistic approach to review current legislation and guidance which is intended to facilitate safe evacuation of individuals from all new two storey dwellings (sets the scene)
ii)To explore and identify any limitations in the legislation and guidance for wheelchair users in new two storey dwellings (escape windows?)
iii)To explore the current level of understanding regarding the provision of emergency egress for wheelchair users as part of two storey accessible housing.
iv)To establish who is ultimately responsible to ensure wheelchair users can safely evacuate a new two storey dwelling in a fire situation
v)To identify what changes (if any)would be necessary in order to ensure safe evacuation of wheelchair users from new two storey dwellings and in what form.
If anybody wishes to see my research proposal in full, I'm more than happy to send it on.
Any contributions, comments, questions will be gratefully accepted.
Thanks in anticipation,
Michael Zuliani
----------End of Message---------- Run by SURFACE for more information on research, consultancy and the distance taught MSc. in Accessibility and Inclusive Design programme visit: http://www.surface.salford.ac.uk Archives for the Accessibuilt discussion list are located at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/accessibuilt.html