Edmund ---

RE: Disciplinary Penetration (Economics)

Agent-based modeling is far from having penetrated mainstream economics
in any routine way.

However, papers stressing Agent-Based Computational Economics (ACE) are
now rather regularly appearing in the following well-regarded but
specialized ("field") economic journals:

    Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control
    Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization

Papers stressing ACE have occasionally appeared in the following
"premier" economic journals:

    American Economic Review (e.g., Holland/Miller, LeBaron/Tesfatsion)
    Journal of Monetary Economics (e.g., work on GAs by Jasmina Arifovic
et al.)
    Journal of Political Economy (e.g., work on GAs by Jasmina Arifovic
et al.)

A volume dedicated to ACE appeared in 2006 in the prestigious Handbooks
in Economics Series published by Elsevier.

       Leigh Tesfatsion and Kenneth L. Judd, ed. (2006). /Handbook of
Computational Economics/, v. 2.,
       Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Description
<http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/660847/description#description>
& and chapter-preview links.
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_hubEid=1-s2.0-S1574002105X02003&_cid=273377&_pubType=HS&_auth=y&_acct=C000228598&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=e4757b4f65755ed6340a11fee9615200>

Articles favorably recommending agent-based modeling tools for economics
(particularly macroeconomics in the wake of the still ongoing financial
crisis) have appeared in

      Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences   ( Agent-based
modeling: Methods and techniques
<http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/suppl_3/7280>
for simulating human systems
<http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/suppl_3/7280>. Proceedings of
the National Academy of Sciences
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Academy_of_Sciences>.
May 14, 2002. )

      Nature  (  J. Doyne Farmer andDuncan Foley, Duncan (2009), 'The
economy needs agent-based modelling.
      ' Nature, Vol. 460, No. 7256. (05 August 2009), pp. 685-686,and
Mark Buchanan (2009), 'Meltdown modelling.
<http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mark.buchanan/nature_economic_modelling.pdf>
Could agent-based computer models prevent another financial crisis?
<http://pagesperso-orange.fr/mark.buchanan/nature_economic_modelling.pdf>.'
Nature, Vol. 460, No. 7256.
      (05 August 2009), pp. 680-682. )

      The Economist ( "Agents of change"
<http://www.economist.com/node/16636121>. /The Economist/. 22 July 2010)

A rather comprehensive survey of ACE published work is forthcoming in
the Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control -- see the following:
-------------------------------------

http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/ACEHistoricalSurvey.SHCheng2011.pdf

      Shu-Heng Chen, *"Varieties of Agents in Agent-Based Computational
Economics:
       A Historical and an Interdisciplinary Perspective"*
<http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/ACEHistoricalSurvey.SHCheng2011.pdf>/Journal
of Economic Dynamics and Control/,
       2011, to appear. */

      Abstract:/* This thoughtful and comprehensive study traces the
origins of agent-based computational economics (ACE) through four
different gateways: namely, study of market processes; study of cellular
automata with fixed rules of behavior; evolution-of-cooperation
tournaments with programmed strategies; and experiments with autonomous
human-like agents (artificial life).

--------------------------------------

See, also, the listings of annotated pointers to published ACE work at
the following sites:

    ACE: Introductory Materials
    http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/aintro.htm

    ACE: Research Area Sites
    http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/aapplic.htm

    ACE Research Area: Agent-Based Macroeconomics
    http://www.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/amulmark.htm

Best wishes,

Leigh

--
Professor Leigh Tesfatsion     Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Economics        FAX: 515-294-0221