From: Michael Innes <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: International boundaries discussion list
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:35:20
To: [log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [INT-BOUNDARIES] INT-BOUNDARIES Digest - 24 Dec 2011 to 26 Dec
 2011 (#2011-58)

Colleagues - I just joined the list, so please pardon my abrupt entree.

I've been following this, albeit as a relative novice to West African politics. My understanding is that Ghana’s Jubilee Field and the more recent Lukoil, Vanco and Petroci finds at the Independence IX well have invigorated discussions of maritime borders between Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana. Some adjacent issues have certainly fed into the atmospherics - the two I'm thinking of are recent talks over Ivorian border security with both Liberia and Ghana, and increased concerns with maritime piracy in the Gulf of Guinea (and what it means for West African states' responsibility to patrol and secure their respective waters).

Where I'm generally ignorant is the state of maritime borders in the Gulf of Guinea. How have these been understood/regulated/governed in the past? My apologies to all for what must seem a novice question - I'm a beginner when it comes to boundary issues, as well. I'd be grateful for any enlightened comment on this.

All best

Mike Innes

--
MICHAEL A. INNES

OFFICE (UK): +44 (0)20 3286 4871  MOBILE (UK): +44 (0)758 134 1400
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]  SKYPE: ma.innes WEB: www.thesigerandcompany.com

REGISTERED OFFICE: Suite 13485, 2nd Floor, 145-157 St. John Street, London, EC1V 4PY, England.
© THESIGER & COMPANY LIMITED 2011. All rights reserved. Company Registered in the UK (No. 7234402).