Definitely rutile. This texture with sets of rutile needles oriented in three different directions does occur in certain high-grade garnets (and other minerals). It is commonly interpreted as TiO2 unmixing from the garnet.

Regards,

Juergen Reinhardt

School of Geological Sciences
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Durban, 4000
South Africa

>>> Shauket Baltybaev <[log in to unmask]> 12/8/2011 7:56 PM >>>
Dear colleagues,

I found a strange looking ("rhomboidal" location) inclusions in garnet
(Grt-Pl-Bt-Qtz-Sill  metamorphic rock from the Ukraine shield). I have
no  idea because I've never seen such a thing before. Here I'm sending
3  photos  (thinsection,  size  of  Grt  is  about 2 mm). Please yours
suggestions and ideas.

Regards,
Shauket

IPGG RAS