When I was doing my qualification we went on a site visit to an organisation which will remain nameless. They told us a story of how they had a large amount of boxes in storage, and every year had sent their requests for boxes to be destroyed, in line with retention schedules. After several years, the bills from the storage company became rather large. Upon investigation the organisation found that none of their destruction orders had been carried out, and that they were still paying for the storage of many many boxes which should have been destroyed years ago.

I guess you cant guarentee perfection with either on-site or off-site storage, they can both work very well, or very badly.

I dont think its fair to talk about in-house records management as if its an idiotic decision nor is it un-reasonable to choose to keep your records where you can keep a closer eye on them.

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:58:10 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Storage boxes
To: [log in to unmask]

Always best to first establish the facts.. before having a rant.

Jen Parker

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 13:53:59 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Goodness – what an inappropriate rant in response to a perfectly reasonable question.  However, not wishing to add another essay to the list, I would just point out that Anthony’s confusion of storage/logistics with information management is a fundamental error.

Best wishes,

John

John Davies
Head of Consulting

TFPL
2nd Floor, Chancery Exchange, 10 Furnival Street, London EC4A 1AB

M  +44 (0)7811 125769
  +44 (0)20 7332 6059

F  +44 (0)870 333 7131

W www.idoxgroup.com