Hi all

Apologies for cross posting.

Here at Northampton we are trying to move to online submission of
coursework wherever possible, and have been recommending Turnitin for
text-based submissions. However it's been brought to our attention by
Student Services that the Document viewer in Turnitin, which displays
the Originality reports and Grademarked papers, is not very accessible.
You can't override the text size or colour etc using browser settings or
custom style sheets, and in testing they've done it doesn't interact
well with accessibility software (screen readers etc).

Having raised this with Turnitin, we've been informed that there's
nothing on the roadmap about adding accessibility features. So my
question is, what advice are other institutions giving for students with
additional needs? I realise that they can use other submission methods,
but my concern is that if we are allowing other students to access and
check their originality reports, then for any student unable to do this,
the experience is not equivalent and this could potentially be seen as a
disadvantage.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/advice on this - please feel free to
reply to me off-list if you prefer.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best,

Julie

Julie Usher

Learning Technology

University of Northampton

Boughton Green Road

Northampton NN2 7AL

Phone: 01604 892558

Skype: jules_u1

Twitter: @LearnTechUoN

Web: northampton.ac.uk/learntech
<http://www.northampton.ac.uk/learntech>

Ranked number 1 in the UK for Value Added

The University of Northampton has achieved the top ranking among UK Universities for VALUE ADDED in the Guardian Universities League table for 2012. See more about this on our website http://www.northampton.ac.uk/news/article/133/the-university-of-northampton-is-no-1-for-value-added--the-guardian.

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient you are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this e-mail or any information contained in it. We virus scan all E-mails leaving The University of Northampton but no warranty is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free. You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor E-mail communications through our networks is reserved by us.