Dear colleagues:
I would like to add my two cents to the discussion about book lists, bibliographies, and literature maps. What I was calling for is something that exists in all developed fields, a mapping of the significant texts in the field since the time the field began. In philosophy for example, the major texts are positioned in particular times and places where they relate to other texts and to events. In art history, where I wear one hat, there is definitely a sense of the canonical texts, beginning in the 19th century. Art historians understand how their field began, which texts were seminal at different periods, and what the issues of contemporary times are. When a department teaches a course in art historical methods, it uses the same seminal texts that appear in most courses. Consequently, there is some coherence to the field as well as a body of criticism of earlier texts as a way of deconstructing older dominant ideas and making way for new ones. All texts exist in a time and place and were written by someone or someones with a particular raison d'être. in essence, they are part of a field's intellectual history.  Its interesting to note that such a history exists in the field of the history of technology exemplified by the journal Technology and Culture. There was even a book called Technology's Storytellers which historicizes the leading articles in the journal over a period of twenty years or so. In the design research field, as exemplified by this list, there is a lot of talk about texts but not much critique of them. In fact, texts often seem transparent as the discussion focuses on methodology and other topics that people address from their own perspective comparable to a cafe jam session. In Design Discourse, a book I edited in 1989, I included a bibliographic essay of postwar design literature that was grouped by country and issues. It was a foray into intellectual mapping without the full depth of an intellectual history (which we also need). Its a least a start towards what I believe will eventually be essential for the design research field as it matures.
Victor

Victor Margolin
Professor Emeritus of Design History
Department of Art History