On 11/06/11, Terri Morgan sent:

> Mennas/Menas (d. c300)  The Egyptian Mennas was perhaps a Roman soldier; it is certain that he was martyred at about the time of Diocletian's persecution.  His shrine at Bumma (near Alexandria) was a major pilgrimage centre until the Arab conquest of Egypt.

This saint's usual feast day in Orthodox churches as well as in those of the Roman obedience is 11. November (and, yes, he was commemorated on that day in the RM prior to the latter's revision of 2001).  Last year's 'Saints of the Day' notice for him (no. 1 at <http://tinyurl.com/curwv3p>) included links to a number of visuals.  Fair Warning: we're very likely to have more on 11. November this year.

> Paul the Confessor/-of Constantinople (d. 352?)...
>    Paul's martyrdom as depicted in a November calendar scene in the frescoes (betw. 133-1350) of the narthex of the church of the Holy Ascension at the Visoki Dečani monastery near Peć: http://tinyurl.com/32c84k4

The date range in that parenthesis should read 'betw. 1335 and 1350'.

Further to Paul of Constantinople:

Paul of Constantinople (at right; at left, St. Eutychius of
Constantinople) as depicted in the late thirteenth-century frescoes (ca.
 1295) in the church of the Peribleptos (now Sv. Climent Novi) in Ohrid:
http://tinyurl.com/4349mgd
http://tinyurl.com/3hxksap
Detail view (P.):
http://tinyurl.com/3g2oxrv

Paul
 of Constantinople as depicted in the earlier fourteenth-century
frescoes (betw. ca. 1311 and ca. 1322) of the church of St. Nicholas
Orphanos in Thessaloniki:
http://tinyurl.com/3j7tmsr

> Leonard of Noblac (d. 6th century, supposedly)...
>    There is a carving of him at the bottom of  http://www.garganonline.net/S.Leo2.html and a statue on the Leonhardikirche in Bad Sankt Leonhard im Lavanttal (Land Kärnten) in Austria: http://tinyurl.com/23swl3 , and a mosaic (later twelfth- or early thirteenth-century) in the Cappella Palatina at Palermo: http://tinyurl.com/2xc8x3

Further visuals for Leonard will be found at the end of last year's notice of him:
http://tinyurl.com/ca8byh5

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]