Acolytes could be married - it was just the most senior of the Minor
Orders. (But that had previously been the situation with Subdeacons.)
That doesn't explain why the ordination would need to be recorded - but
neither does anything else that I can think of.

John Briggs

On 04/11/2011 15:02, Rosemary Hayes wrote:

> It's only a guess - and I hope one of the canon lawyers will step in
> here - but could it be to do with incompatibility of sacraments? I
> believe that if you were in major orders you could not marry and if you
> were married you could not proceed to major orders. There were 'married
> clerks' who never proceeded to major orders. Was acolyte the last point
> at which you could marry or was it the point of no return - in which
> case you needed a permanent record?
>
> From: "John Briggs"
 >>
>> Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way round. Perhaps we should
>> ask why ordinations of acolytes *were* recorded. Is it "just" because
>> it was the most senior of the minor orders? If so, what makes this
>> special? Was this the sort of logic which led to subdeacon becoming a
>> major order? Would the same have eventually happened to acolyte?
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>
>> On 04/11/2011 09:49, Rosemary Hayes wrote:
>>>
>>> Certainly, my own work with episcopal registers has revealed very
>>> little below the level of acolyte but then I have NEVER come across
>>> the record of a confirmation. Perhaps both confirmation and the
>>> orders below acolyte were conferred ad hoc as the bishop (or his
>>> suffragan - and most had them in the fifteenth century) moved around
>>> the diocese.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]