-----Bibliographic standards in UK libraries <[log in to unmask]> wrote: -----

To: [log in to unmask]
From: Malcolm Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Bibliographic standards in UK libraries <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24/11/2011 03:52PM
Subject: DOI's for books

According to their web page
http://www.doi.org/
DOI's are to "digital objects" - at my age I think of this as "computer
files"
(but I still think of "metadata creation" as "cat. & class.")
So they are what ISBN's are to books, or ISSN, ISMN to ... etc.

obviously these catgories can overlap, if the book is available in
digital form as well. since these media categories are
not mutually exclusive.

I can't see any use in practice unless you think the digital version is
likely to be sought for its own sake.
Or am I missing something?...

--
Malcolm Jones
St. Richard's Vicarage

www.peri.nildram.co.uk
01435 862744
07799 265097

*

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the
addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of
legal and/or professional privilege.
sender or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and
cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's
position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming
and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check
this
e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any
checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website -
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk