AHRC e-bulletin
November 2011
The Arts and Humanities Research Council [AHRC] supports world-class research that furthers our understanding of human culture and creativity.
At a glance
In this issue: News | Events | Competitions
Closing dates: Science in Culture Exploratory Awards call: Tuesday 22 November

Connected Communities: Supplementary Call for Scoping Studies and Research Reviews focussed on Arts and Humanities Perspectives on Communities: Thursday 24 November

Translating Cultures: Research Development Networking Call: Tuesday 29 November

Digital Transformations in Arts and Humanities Call: Research Development Funding: Wednesday 30 November

News
Funding calls under AHRC's new themes
Reminder about calls
The AHRC has launched new funding calls under the Science in Culture, Digital Transformations in Arts and Humanities and Translating Cultures themes.
Further information is available below and on our website

AHRC and BBC Radio 3 Launch New Generation Thinkers 2012
New call
AHRC and BBC Radio 3 are looking for applications for the New Generation Thinkers of 2012. Up to sixty successful applicants will have a chance to develop their programme-making ideas with experienced BBC producers.
Further information is available on our website

AHRC appoint new Director of Research
New appointment
The AHRC has appointed Professor Mark Llewellyn, holder of the John Anderson Research Leadership Chair in English Studies in the School of Humanities at the University of Strathclyde, as its new Director of Research. Professor Llewellyn will join the AHRC in January 2012.
Further information is available on our website

Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination
New Exhibition
The British Library's latest exhibition, Royal Manuscripts: The Genius of Illumination, opens this week and is the culmination of a major research project started three years ago and funded by the AHRC. The exhibition is the first to display richly illuminated manuscripts from the Royal collection of the British Library in such large numbers and includes 154 colourful and gilded handwritten books, dating between the 9th and 16th centuries and previously belonging to the kings and queens of England.
Further information is available on our website

Advisory Board Recruitment
The AHRC needs you!
The AHRC is seeking expressions of interest from suitably experienced individuals from the academic/commercial/government/voluntary sectors, to fill vacancies on its Advisory Board.
Further information is available on our website

New AHRC project explores monograph publishing
Project with JISC
The academic monograph is under threat. Increased costs and lower print runs are impacting on the principle means by which researchers share their knowledge and disseminate their findings.
Further information is available on our website

Literary detectives unravel famous Ben Jonson mystery
New findings
The amazing chance discovery of a manuscript hidden among papers in an ancient family archive is shedding new light on the legendary career of William Shakespeare's biggest rival, the poet and playwright, Ben Jonson.
Further information is available on our website

AHRC restructures to meet new challenges
Corporate news
Following a review into the AHRC's structure and function initiated after last year's Spending Review settlement, the AHRC's Council has endorsed proposals put forward by its Strategic Consultation Group for a series of changes to the AHRC's organisational structure.
Further information is available on our website

Events
AHRC Showcase Events - International Mobility Programme
14/15 December, Edinburgh/London
The AHRC is holding two events to showcase the international opportunities available to AHRC-funded PhD students and Early Career Researchers. There are two dates to choose from: Wednesday 14 December, Edinburgh University (spaces still available) or Thursday 15 December, University College London (very limited spaces)
Further information is available on our website.

Call for Workshops exploring Research Challenges in the Digital Economy
Closing date: 30 November
This call is an invitation to apply to participate in workshops to develop research challenges and research networks considering the sub-theme remit and associated Digital Economy Theme portfolio.
For more information please go to the EPSRC website.

Second International Health Humanities Conference
Closing date: 1 December
The Colleges of the Arts and of the Humanities and Social Sciences at Montclair State University, New Jersey, USA, are hosting the Second International Health Humanities Conference. The conference Call-for-Papers are due by the 1 December.
Further information and the Call-for-Papers form is available on our website.

Award holder events
A selection of events organised by our award holders
  • Dance and the Law
    18 November, Coventry
  • Public lecture: Of handkerchiefs, milk bottle tops and soap: preventing accidents in twentieth-century Britain
    6 December, Oxford
  • "Why do nations matter?" The struggle for belonging and security in an uncertain world
    7 December, Cardiff
Find out more about our award holder events

We have a range of AHRC stickers, posters and pens for your AHRC-funded event. Please email [log in to unmask]

Competitions
Science in Culture Exploratory Awards call
Closing date: 22 November
Science in Culture is one of four themes currently being developed by the AHRC. Proposals are sought for exploratory awards that aim to hold a workshop or series of workshops or similar events, or to carry out a scoping study or a research review.
Find out more on our website.

Connected Communities: Supplementary Call for Scoping Studies and Research Reviews focussed on Arts and Humanities Perspectives on Communities
Closing date: 24 November
As a part of the cross-Council Connected Communities Programme the AHRC is inviting applications from arts and humanities researchers for a further round of research reviews and scoping studies.
Find out more on our website.

Translating Cultures: Research Development Networking Call
Closing date: 29 November
Translating Cultures is one of four emerging themes currently being developed by the AHRC. Proposals are sought for awards to support networking and collaborative development activities that specifically address the four research questions posed by the Translating Cultures theme.
Find out more on our website.

Digital Transformations in Arts and Humanities Call: Research Development Funding
Closing date: 30 November
Digital Transformations is one of the four emerging themes currently being developed by the AHRC. Proposals for research development funding are invited from researchers in the emerging theme of Digital Transformations and its three main topics.
Find out more on our website.

Non-AHRC News and Competitions
News from the arts and humanities community

The following items are not AHRC news but may be of interest to our community.

  • Meet the Archivists workshop
    Fancy exploring treasure troves of untapped historical sources? Want to find out how you can use business archives in your undergraduate, master's or PhD research? The Business Archives Council is holding a one-day workshop on 8th December 2011 where you can meet the archivists and find out how!
    More information can be found on the Business Archive Council website
  • Arts and Humanities Research Council
    www.ahrc.ac.uk
    To unsubscribe to the newsletter please go to the JISCmail website and leave the AHRC list.