May or may not be on topic.

--

Call for Papers/Participants: Opening up the study of Sufism for the 21st century

A. The cover story

What: An edited volume of eight to ten chapters of 7-8,000 words each written by a scholar and/or published Sufi to be ready by July 2012 for a roundtable conference in New Zealand August 2012.

The actual book: This is going to be a companion volume published by Continuum to offer a survey of current research but also to give more practical guidance on research in the field, including research methods and subject-specific resources.

B. The Scoop

I have only just agreed to edit this project if I could gather up a certain kind of team and the publishers have given me a few weeks to gather the team.

A couple of the team members necessarily will reflect current approaches to the study of sufism. These are the starting points for any new approach to the study of Sufism. We build on the shoulders of our predecessors.
This announcement is for individuals who want to go beyond the existing postmodern paradigm in whatever dimension they choose to focus.

My motivation in this project is to re-balance the embarrassing situation whereby what is important for actual practitioners is hardly considered by scholars anymore. The subjective and trans-rational aspects of Sufi practice are almost totally ignored. One of the most enlivening transformative activities on the planet is largely dis-enchanted in academic Sufi literature.

Postmodernism has taught us to be aware of ethnocentrism but few in academia are aware of the pervading cognocentrism. This is one of the gaping holes in Sufi studies today. There are many others. Please let me know what they are and how you would like to fill them with enchantment.

Please contact Art Buehler  at  [log in to unmask] if you are interested. Please enclose a 100-word abstract and a three sentence bio.