Hmmm. Interesting response below. But can’t help thinking that I didn’t hear of Campbell’s or Heinz suing Andy Warhol back in the day, and his work is considered highly original.

But then again I’m not an artist. And don’t work in a museum. Nor am I a copyright lawyer.

To quote Danny Baker: “I know everything about art, I just don’t know what I like”

Essex

From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sally Fort
Sent: 11 October 2011 10:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: copyright

Hi Claire (and anyone else this might be useful for)
Clearly the best answer is that she should withdraw it immediately, if she's worried enough to be concerned about the copyright issue then her instincts are probably valid. The repercussions once it is publicly available, especially if she's drawing income from it, could be far worse than the inconvenience of pulling it at this stage. The PR for whoever commissioned her could be at stake too - there has been a lot of this lately and even big companies like Tesco and Paperchase have had really bad press and had to pull product lines because of similar occurrences so she's right to be worried. A small organisation would have a lot to be worried about in the same situation.

However, having stated the obvious, there are companies she can turn to for advice such as DACS - http://www.dacs.org.uk/ and ACID http://acid.eu.com/

There are some fine details about copyright issues as you probably know, relating to who owns the copyright on the original (sometimes no-one does, in which case she might be OK). Also there are 'loopholes' - depending how many adaptations she's made, it might be seen to be different enough from the original that she can claim it to be her own. Also if the original was creative commons licensed she may also be ok - depending what sort of license it has.

Depending where she lives she might also be able to get advice from a local design development agency (I can probably let you know the nearest one if you want to email me off list to say which area she's in)

Hopefully for the future she knows now that as an artist / designer, creating wholly original work is much better practice, and will also help her carve her own niche which is a better business model for her to persue anyway. But in the meantime DACS and / or ACID should be able to help her work out what to do about this particular case.

Hope she finds a solution that sees her (and the original artist) happy about the outcomes.
All the best
Sally

Sally Fort
Consultant: cultural projects