e-bulletin
October 2011
The Arts and Humanities Research Council [AHRC] supports world-class research that furthers our understanding of human culture and creativity.

Closing dates: Collaborative Doctoral Awards: Thursday 17 November

RCUK Public Engagement with Research: Catalysts Call: Thursday 17 November

Connected Communities: Supplementary Call for Scoping Studies and Research Reviews focussed on Arts and Humanities Perspectives on Communities: Thursday 24 November

Block Grant Partnerships 2 Expressions of Interest: Monday 27 February

NEWS

Digital research and development projects announced
AHRC, NESTA and Arts Council England funding
Eight pioneering projects that will harness digital technologies for the benefit of the arts and cultural sector have been selected to receive funding from the Digital Research and Development Fund for Arts and Culture run by NESTA, Arts Council England and the AHRC.
More information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/8artsandculturalorganisationspioneerdigitalprojects.aspx

Changes to AHRC’s Fellowships Scheme announced
Important information
The AHRC announced further details of the changes and enhancements to its Fellowships scheme as outlined in its Delivery Plan (2011-2015) and the arrangements for implementing these changes.
Further information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/ChangestoAHRCsFellowshipsSchemeannounced.aspx

Call for Nominations to Peer Review College
2011 Call
The AHRC are seeking nominations for new members to be appointed to its Peer Review College (PRC) who would be able to assess proposals submitted under AHRC’s research themes. In parallel we wish to increase the capacity of the College in specific research areas.
Further information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/About/PeerReview/Pages/prccallfornominations.aspx

Protection of Europe’s cultural legacy receives significant boost
Heritage Portal launch
European efforts to coordinate activities to protect its cultural heritage took a significant step forward with the launch in Rome of the Heritage Portal.
More information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/ProtectionofEuropesculturallegacyreceivessignificantboostinRome.aspx

AHRC and ESRC joint Connected Communities call
New funding
The AHRC in funding partnership with the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), working together under the Connected Communities Programme, have issued a joint call for outline proposals for two large research grants in the area of community engagement and mobilisation.
More information is available on the ESRC website
http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding-and-guidance/funding-opportunities/17540/latest-opportunity-6.aspx

Skills Development Call
New call
The AHRC has now launched its Skills Development Call. This call aims to support institutions and other organisations in developing innovative, collaborative training packages, that will meet a range of capacity issues in the arts and humanities.
More information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/SkillsDevelopmentCall.aspx

Block Grant Partnerships 2 Expressions of Interest
New funding
The call for Expressions of Interest for Block Grant Partnerships 2 (BGP2) is now open. BGP2 awards will be given to Research Organisations (ROs) or consortia of ROs to provide funding for postgraduate studentships from 2014.
More information on the opportunity is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/BGP2ExpressionsInterest.aspx

Excavations around Britain show origins of neolithic period
Project news
Archaeologists at the University of Liverpool, funded by the AHRC, are investigating island groups around Britain to further understanding of why humans altered their lifestyle from hunting and gathering to farming the land.
More information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/ExcavationofislandsaroundBritaintoestablishoriginsofneolithicperiod.aspx

AHRC Chair reappointed
Council news
Minister for Universities and Science David Willetts announced the reappointment of Sir Alan Wilson as the Chair of the AHRC.
More information is available on our website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Latest/Pages/DavidWillettsreappointsAHRCchair.aspx

EVENTS

Town Meetings for AHRC Block Grant Partnerships, Round 2
5 October, Manchester & 10 October, Swindon
We are holding Town Meetings at various locations around the UK to communicate the principles of BGP2, along with any detailed development that has been reached, and to give the opportunity for input from the HE community.
Further details can be found on our website.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/News/Events/Pages/BGP2townmeetings.aspx

Award holder events
A selection of events organised by our award holders

Small is Beautiful - Exhibition
24 September - 15 October, Bridport
Experience a Medieval mass
6 & 9 October, Salisbury Cathedral
UCL Arts & Humanities Symposium 2011
26 October, London
Find out more about our award holder events

We have a range of AHRC stickers, posters and pens for your AHRC-funded event. Please email [log in to unmask]

COMPETITIONS

Collaborative Doctoral Awards
Closing date: 17 November
Collaborative Doctoral Awards are intended to encourage and develop collaboration and partnerships between Higher Education Institution (HEI) departments and non-academic organisations and businesses.
Find out more on our website.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/CollaborativeDoctoralAwards.aspx

RCUK Public Engagement with Research: Catalysts Call
Closing date: 17 November
RCUK is committed to engaging the public with research and believes that public engagement can enhance research by helping it to remain relevant to society and be responsive to wider social concerns and so helps research to maximise its economic and societal impact.
Find out more on our website.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/PublicEngagementwithResearchCatalystsCall.aspx

Connected Communities: Supplementary Call for Scoping Studies and Research Reviews focussed on Arts and Humanities Perspectives on Communities
Closing date: 24 November
As a part of the cross-Council Connected Communities Programme the AHRC is inviting applications from arts and humanities researchers for a further round of research reviews and scoping studies.
Find out more on our website.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/CCScopingStudiesAandHPerspectivesonCommunities.aspx

Block Grant Partnerships 2 Expressions of Interest
Closing date: 27 February 2012
The call for Expressions of Interest for Block Grant Partnerships 2 (BGP2) is now open. BGP2 awards will be given to Research Organisations (ROs) or consortia of ROs to provide funding for postgraduate studentships from 2014.
Find out more on our website.
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/BGP2ExpressionsInterest.aspx

Non-AHRC News and Competitions
News from the arts and humanities community

The following items are not AHRC news but may be of interest to our community.

New opportunities for European Project Funding
A new call has been announced by the European Commission’s Socio-Economic and Humanities (SSH) Committee for collaborative research project to address nearly 30 challenges and topics. The call has a total budget of € 39 000 000 and applications must be submitted by 2 February 2012.
More information can be found on the website
http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/About/Policy/Pages/Europe.aspx