Yes, it gets interesting when this entity "direct delineation of
personal experience" turns out to be something different in different
hands rather than an experiential given, and when northern Irish
university poets need eccentric Catalan and French poets to motivate
them in this direction -- especially when they already have Patrick
Kavanagh behind them! -- the greatest of them all.

Ferrater's earlier poems are, judging by the translations, very
prosaic, maybe less so in the Catalan (which, yes, is included in the
Arc book) but later in his (short) career when there was more
figuration. I can't see a trace of the "traditional forms" this
prosaic matter is said to be pressed into. His longest poem begins,
"When the war began I was fourteen and three months" and goes on like
that for ten pages, obviously asking to be read as prose, i.e., with
the reader's reward postponed, whereas poetry is instant.

The introductions don't answer the questions of why. Heaney plays the
civil war ticket.

It's an interesting book and I do kind of believe in the (diversified)
value of DDofPE as a ground, I think it's something we need to keep to
hand, though you do sometimes wonder why you are being told all this
("three months"?)

Pr