Sara

My recollection is that a few months ago we created a new custom course role for External Examiners, but Turnitin did not recognise it, so we gave up.

If there is a way round this I’d be very pleased to hear of it – we wanted to create a role which had no editing rights over the course, but did have access to the Turnitin Inbox and GradeMark.

Andy

From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Preston, Dr Sara
Sent: 05 September 2011 15:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Course/organisation roles/privileges

Hi All,

Has anyone produced their own custom course roles based on copies of existing Blackboard course roles (in particular, based on copies of P – instructor, T – teaching assistant)? We were originally advised that TurnitinUK may not recognise the role ids of custom roles based on copies of existing Blackboard course roles. We therefore modified existing roles but then found that there were privileges that were not apparent, which were associated with the different roles in Blackboard. For example, we tried to give the course builder role the same privileges as the instructor role, bar a couple of differences, and while they appeared to be very similar they were not as there were other privileges that were not listed under the general privileges list associated with the roles (unless I have missed something?).

I am therefore particularly interested to know whether you have TurnitinUK integrated with Blackboard and if you have produced custom course roles based on copies of existing Blackboard course roles and whether this has caused any problems. We are running Learn 9.1 SP6 (course delivery + content + community) and have the TurnitinUK building block 2.5.19 installed on our system.

Also, has anyone tried to create roles equivalent to a student and if so, how have you done this given the fact that you cannot copy a student/guest role (copied a role such as course builder and then removed privileges?).

Any advice regarding the above will be gratefully received!

All the best,

Sara

Dr Sara Preston (Team Leader)

Senior eLearning Adviser

Centre for Learning & Teaching

University of Aberdeen

University Office, King’s College

Aberdeen, AB24 3FX

T: +44 (0)1224 274371

E: [log in to unmask]

W: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/clt/

P Please consider the environment before you print this email