This is an interesting question which has come up at least once on the
list previously.

This is my argument:

The t statistic is not a consistent estimator of an effect size. That is,

for df -> Inf (for increasing sample size),
var(t) -> 1.

This is because t gradually approximates z, the normal variate, at
infinite degrees of freedom. Instead, let b_hat a parameter estimate
in a linear model (the values in con images), and then we have

for df -> Inf,
var(b_hat) -> 0.

That means b_hat is a consistent estimate of b, as it implies

Prob([b_hat - b] > epsilon) -> 0.

(Actually, it's well known that parameter estimates in a linear model
are consistent, so my argument only concerns t.)