Hi Sarika,

I am not sure there is an answer to "the best method" for creating
priors, but since we already publicly claimed that the idea of using a
statistical approach to doing this is a good one, I also recommend it
here: the TOM toolbox allows to generate priors using a general linear
model approach, based on a reference population that you may preprocess
as you see fit (for some hints, see the NI 2008 paper). The main problem
with the paper is that we put "pediatric" in the title, although the
approach is in no way restricted to children (in fact, I think it would
be extremely interesting to assess the effects in, say, an elderly
population). You will find more information and the toolbox itself on
the IRC website at https://irc.cchmc.org/software/tom.php

Cheers,
Marko

PS: I should have mentioned that the need for customized priors has
become much less pressing with recent changes to the segmentation
approach but since this is well-documented in the archives ... :)

sarika cherodath wrote:
> Hello SPMers,
>
>                Does anyone know what the best available method for
> creating priors is? Is it possible to generate priors from a large
> enough data set of one's own? Many template creation tools provide
> priors but they are derived based on a data set of their own.Is it
> possible to make priors and templates only based on your population's
> data, and based on a standard atlas of some kind?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> --
> Sarika Cherodath
> Graduate Student
> National Brain Research Centre
> Manesar, Gurgaon -122050
> India

PD Dr. med. Marko Wilke
  Facharzt für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin
  Leiter, Experimentelle Pädiatrische Neurobildgebung
  Universitäts-Kinderklinik
  Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)

Marko Wilke, MD, PhD
  Pediatrician
  Head, Experimental Pediatric Neuroimaging
  University Children's Hospital
  Dept. III (Pediatric Neurology)

Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1
  D - 72076 Tübingen, Germany