Hi Ben

> Dear SPM users,
>
> I'm running an experiment where the subjects has to choose between two
> options in a cognition task. In addition they are playing sometimes
> against a real counterpart or sometimes against the computer. Now I
> want to analyze the imaging data and designed a matrix with the four
> conditions: computer_option1 and computer_option2 and human_option1
> and human_option2  with their onsets and durations. I also added for
> parametric modulations the reaction times for the different options
> with a first order polynomial expansion. I have a TR of 2.5 s and 37
> interleaved slices, so I used 37 for microtime resolution and 18 for
> microtime onset. Is this a good design for the first level analysis?
> And how should I create the contrast that I can also make a good
> second level analysis?

I would also specify it's a factorial 2*2 design otherwise that looks
pretty good to me ..

As for 2nd level analysis, it depends on which school you are
FH approach: compute all effects within subjects (computer/human [1 1 -1
-1] option1 / 2 [1 -1 1 -1] inrteraction [1 -1 -1 1]) and do a one
sample t-test for each contrast
Var comp approach: don't bother with contrasts (unless you have several
sessions then simply make a contrast per condition) and enter the 4
beta/con maps per subject into a repeated measure ANOVA (flexible factorial)

Hope this helps
Cyril

--
Dr Cyril Pernet,