Hello,
There are pros and cons regarding teaching qual data analysis first, or attempting to integrate qual analysis with software from the beginning.

A fruitful integration, in my opinion, has been done by Jo Haynes, at Bristol.  She has used numerous datasets available at ESDS Qualidata and reduced them to smaller, teaching datasets.  Then, she has created a course that integrates learning to analyse these data with learning NVivo software.  She takes advantage of having the data "ready to go" and uses course time to focus on research questions and analysis,a very good balance in my view.  This is a post-graduate course.

A short description as well as a ppt summary of what she does is here (3rd case down):
http://www.esds.ac.uk/qualidata/support/reuseexamples.asp

More information on Qualidata and how to gain free access to other qualitative datasets can be found here:
http://www.esds.ac.uk/qualidata/access/introduction.asp

Best,
Libby

LIBBY