Jackie,

Here are some good bibliographic resources for you. Hope you find what
you need, but let me know if you need anything else.

Suzanne

D'Avray, David. The Preaching of the Friars: Sermons Diffused from
Paris before 1300. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985.

Kienzle, Beverly., dir., The Sermon: Typologie des sources du Moyen
Âge occidentaI. Turnhout: Brepols, 2000.

Kienzle, Beverly and David D’Avray, “Sermons.” In Medieval Latin: An
Introduction and Bibliographical Guide, eds. F.A.C. Mantello and A.G.
Rigg, 659-669. Washington, DC: Catholic University Press, 1996.

O’Malley, John. “Introduction: Medieval Preaching.” In De Ore Domini:
Preacher and Word in the Middle Ages, eds. Thomas Amos, Eugene Green
and Beverly Kienzle, 1-11. Kalamazoo, MI: Medieval Institute
Publications, 1989.

On 7/28/11, Jussi Hanska <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Jackie,
>
> Shortly, bishop had authority (and duty) to preach within his diocese
> and he could delegate it to anyone (or at least any ordained priest)
> he chose (and that includes the religious).
>
> All the best,
>
> Jussi Hanska
>

> Lainaus Jackie Duff <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>

>> Hello, I am trying to establish who had authority to preach during
>> the 11th and 12th centuries although I guess rulings on this stem
>> from earlier periods.   Am I correct in thinking that bishops had
>> authority and could give permission to priests in their dioceses?
>> If this is so, does it mean that priests generally could not preach,
>> only those who had episcopal permission and that therefore
>> ordination did not naturally confer the authority to preach?
>> Similarly, could monks preach beyond the confines of the monastery?
>> If so, when was this instituted and who granted permission?  Was it
>> still the local bishop? I should also be very grateful if anyone has
>> a book or journal reference which might cover these precise
>> questions.  Texts I have looked at so far seem rather vague
>> concentrating more on the content and pastoral aspects of preaching.
>> Best wishes, Jackie
>> To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> To send a message to the list, address it to:
>> To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>> to: [log in to unmask]
>> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>> For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]