more useful contextualization . . . i had no idea that our man slavoj actually appeared on TV shows, and [using my pre-post-modern brain] assumed that the only way ms. zeva could have known of him was by reading him or – at the very least – by reading about him

but, as one of my colleagues has suggested to me, if druggy counter-intuitive pronouncements about “profound” matters will earn one rock-star status, then, hey, maybe we should all give it a try . . . that way we’d be in line with ms. zeva’s own profound discovery that “relevance” and “celebrity” are really just two different names for the same thing, right??

mike

From: Film-Philosophy [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henry M. Taylor
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2011 9:52 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FILM-PHILOSOPHY] filmosophy groupies???

I doubt this fashion blogger ever READ much of Zizek's work (not his books, at any rate). Zizek is a pop star, a performer, a standup comedian who shamelessly appears even on the most debasing tv shows with idiotic interlocutors, just to use another media outlet to display his outrageous fondness for Stalinism. Zizek is always counter-intuitive in his interpretations. And that's cool. Although, despite everything, he's still not quite the household name of some of his heroes, e.g. Hitchcock. More work needed there. What is maybe not so cool about Zizek is his obvious use of cocaine to maintain his high-octane public appearances.

Henry

i suppose herbert’s placing our blogger in historical context is somewhat reassuring, but only somewhat  . . .  i’m old enough to remember the existentialist affectations of the sixties, but those people [i was on the periphery] generally took their sartrean posture to involve – indeed, to require – a wholesale rejection of pop culture . . . that a fashionista who purposes in life are to achieve both celebrity and “relvance” should now be an acolyte of a philosopher who specializes in the gnomic and obscure seems a new constellation of post-modernistic

by the way, i’m far from convinced that zizek’s “thoughts [are] easy to capture” . . . provocative? – yes for sure, at times even charming, but easy? . . . i think not

mike