I had the same experience at the cinema this week. About 20 people left the
theatre before the film finished. Most left even in the first hour. I think the
problem (for the lack of a better word) is that the film was heavily marketed
with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn being attached to it, which seems to have attracted
a lot of people who would not normally watch such a film. This raises
interesting issues, bordering on ethics and stardomship, of how the distribution
and marketing of a film can (un)consciously target an audience that will not
enjoy the film. The fact that the film is being shown at major Cineworld
branches in London is another contributing factor.

Personally, there were many instances when I was quasi-hypnotised by the
sequences (it reminded me a lot of Jiri Menzel's "One Moment"), although, I
thought the attempt to show macrocosm (literally) and microcosm simultaneously
resulted in one film being split in two parts by another film (the cosmos and
evolution sequence).

A very bold film, thematically, stylistically and distribution-wise.

---

Catalin Brylla
Filmmaker - Editor
www.catalinbrylla.com