  _____

From: Evidence based health (EBH)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dr. Amy Price
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EBM Anecdote: Today's NEJM

Dear  All,

The question that comes to my mind  very interesting elephant and all is
what are the long term  (as in the over two years efficacy results)  for
this product  in comparison with controls, those with existing CVR within
the groups  and mortality rates in general? I would rethink the hypothesis
about the availability heuristic for decision one choices being stronger for
case reports/clinical practice experience as I can't tell you the number of
medical professionals that go by what their peers think according to the
latest RCT or Meta analysis that they have likely never analysed but that a
drug rep pointed out to them  rather than by what is happening in front of
them with their own patients.

Decision making is important and both system one and system two are critical
for efficiency and excellence. To me the key is to be aware of which system
is in use and to know when to switch system camps as in know when to hold
and when to fold. Some of this thinking is below conscious attention but
there are ways to increase awareness and sharpen these skill .

I find  huge studies are not always good studies and that case
reports/series can be very informative and bring light to nuanced areas a
larger study has not controlled for.

Or in the words of Ravi in another email "The art of medicine lies in
individualizing the evidence to a single individual"

Best regards,

Amy

Amy Price

Http://empower2go.org