The EHRC position seems to fly in the face of the European Convention of Human Rights which states:

      Article 17: Nothing in this Convention may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein or at their limitation to a greater extent than is provided for in the Convention. (my emphasis)

      Article 10 (2): The exercise of these freedoms (to free speech), since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary. (my emphasis)

I cannot see (as Stonewall has outlined) how any “reasonable accommodation” for some individual’s religious beliefs (which may not be shared by other people even within their own faith tradition) which are about denying the rights and freedoms of others  - e.g. denying services (particularly a public service) because of someone’s sexual orientation; or indeed (e.g.) someone of another religious or belief system that they find incompatible with their own. This is not the same as making adjustments, such as allowing a change of shift  patterns, that have little no detriment for others and indeed may well enhance the rights of others by extending the opportunity for more flexibility.

The EHRC is opening a Pandora’s box that potentially undermines the whole principles of human rights protections, potentially enabling individuals to pick and choose which people’s human rights are worth protecting or not (depending on their own individual views). The EHRC should shut the lid as soon as possible.

Paul

Paul Crofts

Equality & Diversity Advisor

Department for Enhanced Learning, Teaching, Achievement  and Employability (DELTAE)

The University of Northampton

Tel: 01604-893887

Mobile: 078 72 83 64 63

E-mail: [log in to unmask]