Dear Darren.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention – as I, at least, had missed it.  I don’t often comment on the ADMIN-EO network, but the EHRC position is something all E&D people need to consider I suggest.

Having worked on three major LGBT involvement projects at leading universities in the HE sector, I know with certainty that there are hundreds of gay men and women working in HE who will be aghast at the thought that there could be an ‘accommodation’ in cases such as the Ladele case, where a public servant felt able to choose and discriminate about which parts of the public deserved service or not.  For LGBT people, there is often a fear, that I share, that various religious groups are ‘out to get us’ and it’s not paranoia!

The linked EHRC news item is vague on details but is worrying enough for me to have sent this directly to Ben Summerskill at Stonewall.  Hopefully he, and they, are already in contact with EHRC on this matter.

Regards.

JOHN McLELLAN

Independent consultant (HE and Health sectors)

Tel: 07850 690038.