From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Ellis
Sent: 15 June 2011 16:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Electronic Cigarettes in the work place

Dear list,

A member of staff has raised an enquiry about the use of e-cigarettes at work. For those that don’t know, they look like ordinary cigarettes but are (usually) plastic, contain nicotine and emit a “vapour” which is reportedly harmless (by manufacturers) but it appears this is currently unproven. I must admit it had me stumped for a minute, I have approached my local NHS smoking cessation team for a view but was wondering if anyone on the list had a view or experiences about these things in their workplace, in particular in relation to smoking policy?

Kind Regards,

Tim Ellis RN, SPCHN (OH), PgDip OH
Occupational Health Advisor
Occupational Health Department