How strange - this has come up as a query for me in the last couple of weeks. We have employees who have stopped smoking by using these, we have a smoking policy which prohibits smoking on site, this has been in place for some years. We have also provided NRT in the past. . A query came in about whether these e-cigarettes could be utilised at work, and whether we might supply as part of health promotion initiative.

I passed it up the food chain for comment - I believe the response was that there are NICE guidelines re smoking cessation and that is the party line, 9and we no longer provide , we did it in conjunction with new policy as a suppot mechanism)  therefore these cigatrettes would not be supplied/recommended. It was also felt that there was no  obvious benefit (and maybe a retrograde step?) in allowing people to use such items at work when there was an established  smoking policy
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Ellis
Sent: 15 June 2011 16:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Electronic Cigarettes in the work place

Dear list,

A member of staff has raised an enquiry about the use of e-cigarettes at work. For those that don’t know, they look like ordinary cigarettes but are (usually) plastic, contain nicotine and emit a “vapour” which is reportedly harmless (by manufacturers) but it appears this is currently unproven. I must admit it had me stumped for a minute, I have approached my local NHS smoking cessation team for a view but was wondering if anyone on the list had a view or experiences about these things in their workplace, in particular in relation to smoking policy?

Kind Regards,

Tim Ellis RN, SPCHN (OH), PgDip OH
Occupational Health Advisor
Occupational Health Department

Edward Herbert Building (EHB)

Loughborough University
Leicestershire
LE11 3TU

UK

Telephone: 01509 222851

Mobile:      07917 053340

Fax:           01509 222852

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/admin/hse/occupational/

teamgb-bse2011

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.