Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:42:15 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Vision screeners - views please (pun intended)
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi everyone

I have been doing a fair bit of vision screening recently and Im beginning to question what the value is of vision screen machines - e.g. Keystone, Optec, Titmus - compared with Snellen charts and near vision booklets (+ Ishihara for colour blind test if necessary).  Are they worth the additional expense and bother of transporting?  If there is a concern from a DSE user perspective, would they not be better having a full eye test by an optician, as per DSE Regs?  Is there a time when using the machines has a definite advantage over simple charts?  Or are we just using them to look more professional?

Id really value your opinions.

Thanks in advance

Jane Lilley