Dear all,

This is just to alert you to the fact that the government White Paper on Higher Education is due to be published on Tuesday. If the many commentaries are to be believed, however, the White Paper is likely to have many of the characteristics of a Green Paper - that is, to leave key matters open for 'further deliberation with the sector'. It seems clear that the White Paper will represent a fundamental change to the nature of higher education and a breach of the principles that have informed it over the last decades. In brief, a system designed to meet plural aims and public values is to be replaced by one based on a single principle that of the market. These changes to higher education are more radical than those proposed for the NHS and go beyond the question of student fees.

Together with a number of other campaigns, we are preparing to draft an alternative White Paper in which we will seek to challenge the philosophical, sociological, and financial assumptions of the government proposals. If anybody would like to be involved in the drafting of this, please contact us on [log in to unmask] as soon as possible.

In the nature of things, speed will be of the essence and while we will circulate drafts, we will be operating on a rapid turnaround with the aim of generating as much support across the sector. A few sympathetic journalists have been lined up, but if anyone has contacts including local and regional media contacts it would be useful to have them.

Best wishes,