-----Original Message-----
From: British archaeology discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Haseler
Sent: 17 June 2011 11:40
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BRITARCH] Instincts and archaeology

A few months ago I looked for a list of documented human "instincts" -
ones supported by evidence from studies.

It was surprisingly difficult to find anything "academic" on the
subject, and I was wondering how to use personal observations of
"instincts" when I can't find academic support even for the common sense

notion of an instinct let alone specific examples.

Just as a few example:

- the instinct to nurture transferred from humans to animals & plants
during Mesolithic-Neolithic transition
- the instinct of children to go to sleep when being walked around is
indicative of the type of lifestyle of our predecessors.
- the instinct to "goggle" at car crashes ... may suggest we gained so
evolutionary advantage by being acutely inquisitive of scenes of death.

Is there another name used or is there some academic resistance to the
idea that people are compelled by their nature rather than nurture?

Mike