Dear Mike,

Before estimation, the displayed design matrix is original matrix X (with the exception that DCT drift basis elements aren't shown).  After estimation, the 'filtered and whitened' design matrix (xX.xKXs.X = K*W*X) is shown.  If certain columns appear to be zeroed out by whitening, that is because the corresponding scans were found to have super-high variance.  (See my earlier post on errors with PET data).

I can't figure out why this is happening, though, as each session's data is scaled separately.  You can check out the scan-by-scan scale factors used to bring each session to a Grand Mean of 100 by looking at SPM.xGX.gSF; if there is crazy variation in this (e.g. super-low values for sessions 1 & 3) it would explain the effect.  Then the question is why are the computed globals so different over sessions... maybe crazy-large artifactual values in sessions 2, 4, 5,..,8?

Hope this helps with the detective work!

-Tom