Dear Mike,

I have seen this before when the input images have dramatically different scale.  If, say, some of the images are 1000-times more intense than the others, SPM's ReML will then scale down those images (depending on the design and how the badly scaled images are arranged relative to the design factors).

Try looking at the images all at once with the same color scale with CheckReg.  Alternatively look at diag(SPM.xVi.V) (the SPM variable in SPM.mat of a troublesome analysis); these values should all be roughly the same or within an order of magnitude.  If some are 100x or 1000x different from the others, this would explain the problem (and suggests maybe scalefactor artifacts would explain the differences).

(Are maybe some of the PET images in units of "ECAT" counts, and others in a fractional rate? ).

-Tom