Andrew,

If you are wanting to say what the activity is in a subject, the best thing
to do is to average across runs based on the number of trials. If its a
block design, you probably have equal number of blocks in each run, and it
can be simplified to averaging across runs.

The idea of using 1s and 0s was simple that it was easier than entering
fractions and as long as all subjects had the same number of runs, then it
wasn't a problem. Additionally, the spmT or spmF maps are the same for the
1s and 0s or if you use 1/N and 0s where N is the numebr of runs.

Since you want to compare across subjects with varying numbers of
runs/sessions, you need to make the sum of the contrast (assuming its A
versus baseline) equal to 1.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School